Six traits of highly successful people
Over the years, I’ve worked with a lot of different professionals. Those that are successful all have several traits in common. Success is in the eye of the beholder of course – everyone defines it differently. Whatever your definition is, it probably includes these 6 traits:
- They are students. Successful professionals all do their homework – they understand their business, their competition, their employees and their market. Not many things go unnoticed!
- It’s not a one shot deal. Successful people practice, practice and then practice some more – they aren’t born, they are made. Maryam Mirzakhani did more than a few math equations before becoming the first woman to win the prestigious Field’s Medal.
- They have mentors. They are students, who practice but they don’t do it alone. They all have someone who helps push them along the road to success. – their personal Yoda. They learn from those that have been there before them and who perhaps might be a bit smarter than they are.
- Successful people have the “me factor”. This doesn’t mean they are ego maniacal it means they invest in themselves: In their personal development, physical health and their enriching their mind.
- They have a game plan. Successful people are strategic and follow a plan. They know exactly where they started and where they are going – the steps along the way are the adventure and change – but the goal remains constant.
- Last but surely not least, successful people are not afraid of failure – they simply see it as a learning opportunity and a step towards their goal. They don’t let a road bump derail them – they just keep on going! (p.s. See Sandler Rule #1) As Yoda would say, “Do or do not, there is not try.”
So, what is the secret to success? There is no secret and there are no short cuts – it really is mind over matter, a lot of determination and hard work. Everyone needs some help along the way, a mentor to push them when they need a bit of pushing. If you need some help thinking through your 6-steps towards success, give me a call – a ten-minute conversation will tell you if Sandler is a fit!
Partner & Certified Trainer
Learn more about Sue at http://www.linkedin.com/in/susangpowers